Sunday, April 13, 2014

Finding a peanut butter replacement

Peanut butter has been a staple in my diet for years.
Putting a spread of peanut butter on apple slices or a banana really satisfies my hunger.
Peanut butter on toasted bread made a satisfying meal - even with a little cheater bread.
I didn't feel hungry after eating peanut butter.

But nuts and peanut (even though they are a legume) are off my diet for the next 4 months.
I am having that "hungry" feeling almost every day.  Sometimes to distraction.

Today I hunted for some sunflower seed spread recipes to see if I can replace peanut butter with sunflower seed spread.
This first one I tried is too garlicy, but I like the texture and the taste.  I had to add more olive oil and water to let the spread blend.
I do like to pan roast the seeds for a nuttier flavor.
It can be refined as I make more batches.
Sunflower Seed & Garlic Spread

No comments:

Post a Comment